python in school notebooks/laptops

John Thornton secretelf77 at gmail.com
Mon May 30 07:16:11 EDT 2011

I agree fully. Linux  is better and safer. But they seem hellbent on getting
their students to use Windows. For laughs the kids in year 7 start off with
this on their school netbook:

   Individual software packages
MS Office Professional 2010 $80.30
(Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, Publisher, OneNote)
(EULA needs to be signed)
DyKnow $47.00
Microworlds EX Robotics (PC/Mac) $27.50
Inspiration V8 (PC/Mac) $50.60
Graphmatica $4.40
Sophos Anti-virus $30.00
Network Cable $6.00
Labels for laptop and bag $1.00
Additional Software
Home Studio (Yr 7 and 8 Music) $50.00
Upgrade from Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional $103.40
Software packages also installed (either free of charge or cost covered by
School) are ArtRage, Acrobat
Reader, Cite Ace, Mavis Beacon Typing, Scratch, Wordweb, Kahootz, Comic
Life, Ni Hao, French
Gamemaker, NewsMaker, Yenka Science, Autodesk Inventor.

*******
Gimp? Python? Linux? Inkscape? Blender?
That software may as well be on the moon. [sobs into beer...oh well, at
least they get to buy anti-virus gear...:)]

John