scope of function parameters

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun May 29 21:31:33 EDT 2011

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2010-December/080505.html
>

> Constructive criticism welcome.

Informative, but it “buries the lead” as our friends in the press corps
would say.

Instead you should write as though you have no idea where the reader
will stop reading, and still give them the most useful part. Write the
most important information first, and don't bury it at the end.

In this case, I'd judge the most important information to be “what is
the Python passing model?” Give it a short name; the effbot's “pass by
object” sounds good to me.

Then explain what that means.

Then, only after giving the actual information you want the reader to go
away with, you can spend the rest of the essay giving a history behind
the craziness.

More on this style:

    <URL:http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/93903/I_m_OK_The_Bull_Is_Dead>

--
 \       Moriarty: “Forty thousand million billion dollars? That money |
  `\            must be worth a fortune!” —The Goon Show, _The Sale of |