Weird problem matching with REs

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun May 29 09:00:18 EDT 2011

Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> writes:

> I was able to make a regex that matches in my code, but it shouldn't:
> http://x264.nl/x264/64bit/8bit_depth/revision.\n{1,3}[0-9]{4}.\n{1,3}/x264.\n{1,3}.\n{1,3}.exe
> I have to add a dot before each "\n". There is no character not
> accounted for before those newlines, but I don't get a match without the
> dots. I also need both those ".\n{1,3}" sequences before the ".exe". I'm
> really confused.
>
> Using Python 3.2 on Windows, in case it matters.

You are aware that most text-emitting processes on Windows, and Internet
text protocols like the HTTP standard, use the two-character “CR LF”
sequence (U+000C U+000A) for terminating lines?

    <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline>

--
 \          “What I have to do is see, at any rate, that I do not lend |
  `\      myself to the wrong which I condemn.” —Henry Thoreau, _Civil |