Python's super() considered super!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri May 27 14:40:17 EDT 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 4:10 AM, Prasad, Ramit
<ramit.prasad at jpmchase.com> wrote:
>>>We also, though, need *real* URLs. Blind URLs through obfuscation
>>>services have their uses, but surely not in a forum like this. The real
>>>URL is <URL:http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2588262>.
>
> I remember reading a news article where a man was arrested (or was it fired) for pornography because he clicked a link. I would *REALLY* prefer not to be 4chan-ed into jail (or fired) because I could not safely tell what a shortened URL really pointed to. Besides, shortened URLs do not live as long and are more likely to fail when people search the archives.

I've seen FAR more dead links than dead URL shortening services. It's
a lot more likely that the destination will go down than that the
tinyurl service will lose its data.

If you're worried about where you're going, grab a URL renderer;
TinyURL.com has "preview mode" which you can set with a cookie, and
for others, all you need is something which takes a URL off the
clipboard, requests it, gets the Location: header, and puts that on
the clipboard for you. I coded such a facility into my MUD client
(RosMud), because shortened URLs are important when lines are limited
to 80 characters (less some overhead); it'd be quite easy to build a
little Python-GTK or Python-TK app that gives you a nice window and
makes it easy.

Chris Angelico