English Idiom in Unix: Directory Recursively

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 26 00:00:23 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> ... For everyone else, I'll use an
> ordinary adult vocabulary, and that includes the word "recursion" or
> "recursive".

Overheard yesterday: "Our conversation was recursing..." I don't know
what they were talking about, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the
technical details of a function's implementation, given that one of
the people concerned was anything but a computer programmer (I don't
know about the other). It's a perfectly good word, useful in many
contexts.

Chris Angelico