Why did Quora choose Python for its development?

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Wed May 25 08:01:07 EDT 2011

Thorsten Kampe <thorsten at thorstenkampe.de> writes:

> * Chris Angelico (Wed, 25 May 2011 08:01:38 +1000)
>>
>> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 3:39 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net> wrote:
>> > One of my favorite quotes (not sure if it was about Perl or APL) is
> "I
>> > refuse to use a programming language where the proponents of it stick
>> > snippets under each other's nose and say 'I bet you can't guess what
>> > this does.'"
>>
>> Yes, I believe that was Perl. And an amusing quote. But most of the
>> point of it comes from the fact that Perl uses punctuation for most of
>> its keywords, whereas (say) Python uses English words; it's a lot more
>> fun to crunch something down when you can use $| and friends than when
>> you have to put "x and y", complete with spaces, for a simple boolean.
>> But that says nothing about which language is actually better for
>> working with... [...]
>
> It does say something about readibility. And yes, "readability counts".
> And yes, readability says a lot about how good a language is for reading
> and working with.

To people used to the latin alphabet languages using a different script
are unreadable. So readability has a lot to do with what one is used
to. Like I already stated before: if Python is really so much better
than Python readability wise, why do I have such a hard time dropping
Perl and moving on?

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/        Perl Consultancy: http://castleamber.com/
Perl for books:    http://johnbokma.com/perl/help-in-exchange-for-books.html