Hotshoting recursive function

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed May 25 04:50:44 EDT 2011

En Sun, 22 May 2011 10:42:08 -0300, Selvam <s.selvamsiva at gmail.com>
escribió:

> I am using  hotshot module to profile my python function.
>
> I used the details from (
> http://code.activestate.com/recipes/576656-quick-python-profiling-with-hotshot/
> ).
>
> The function I profile is a recursive one and I am getting the following
> error,
>
> "ProfilerError: profiler already active"
>
> I guess this is due to the recursive call to the profiling function.
>
> I would like to get some suggestions.

The recursive call inside your function should call the undecorated
function, not the decorated function again. Decorator syntax is not
convenient anymore.

Using the same names as in the recipe example:

# a recursive function
def my_slow_function(n):
   return my_slow_function(n-1)

my_profiled_slow_function = hotshotit(my_slow_function)
my_profiled_slow_function(n)

This works, in the sense that it does not raise ProfileError anymore.
Interpreting profile data is up to you...

--
Gabriel Genellina