English Idiom in Unix: Directory Recursively

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Wed May 25 03:26:11 EDT 2011

* Rikishi42 (Wed, 25 May 2011 00:06:06 +0200)

> >> Why would you presume this to be related to intelligence? The point was
> >> not about being *able* to understand, but about *needing* to understand
> >> in order to use.
> >
> > Maybe they don't "need" to understand recursion. So what?
>
> I think you should read the earlier posts again, this is drifting so far
> from what I intended.
>
> What I mean is: I'm certain that over the years I've had more than one
> person come to me and ask what 'Do you wish to delete this directory
> recursively?' meant. BAut never have I been asked to explain what 'Do you
> wish to delete this directory and it's subdirs/with all it's contents?'
> meant. Never.

Naming something in the terms of its implementation details (in this
case recursion) is a classical WTF.

On the other hand, it's by far not the only WTF in Unix. For instance,
how often have you read "unlink" instead of "delete"? Or "directory"
instead of "folder", pointing out that "directory" is the correct term
because a directory is just a listing and does not "contain" the actual
files. Of course these implementation details will never matter to
anyone except under the rarest conditions.

Thorsten