Abandoning Python

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Wed May 25 00:45:06 EDT 2011

John Lee <jjl at pobox.com> writes:
> In this thread, I'm asking about the views of Python programmers on
> languages other than Python.

I sympathize with what you're looking for but I don't think there's
a really good answer at this time.  Things IMO are converging in the
direction of functional languages like Haskell but it seems to
me that there is a big gap between the current academic ideas and
what makes sense for working programmers.  The academics aren't
all that concerned with practicality, but good solutions really
have to incorporate their ideas since the rest of us are rather
badly behind the times.

Haskell probably has the most vibrant development community at
the moment but its learning curve is quite steep, and it has
various shortcomings some of which are being worked on but others
of which may be insurmountable.

If you like the Java ecosystem but not the Java language, check
out Scala.

You could look for the article "The Next Mainstream Programming
Languages" by Tim Sweeney.  It discusses similar issues to what I
think you are facing.