Why did Quora choose Python for its development?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue May 24 13:30:00 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:50 AM, John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> wrote:
> Wise words. And I agree. To me Python vs. Perl has nothing to do with
> being a fanboy (unlike many other posters here). I like both languages,
> I have invested a lot of time in learning Python and I am really not
> dense. Yet, even though I can program in Python sufficient enough very
> often I just pick Perl. Now why is that?

To me, a language is a tool. The more tools you have competence with,
the easier it will be to select the right one for any job. There are
very few tools that have no use whatsoever; even Ook might be useful
(although I have yet to be asked to port any code to OrangutanOS).
This differs from the notion of having ten paradigms in one language,
in that most source files will identify themselves fairly early on
(possibly even out-of-band, such as filename extensions).

Chris Angelico