Why did Quora choose Python for its development?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Tue May 24 13:22:13 EDT 2011

On Tue, 24 May 2011 19:10:56 +0300
"Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If I was even considering using Perl, this one exchange would send me
> > screaming in the opposite direction.
>
> If you didn't consider to change the language you prefer it means
> that you are closed minded and use to fell in love with the tools you

Now you are just bordering on rudeness.  I never made any disparaging
remarks about you.  I only talked about a tool that you seem to like
and I don't.  In fact, I did consider and investigate Perl many years
ago along with may other languages before I settled on Python.  I
didn't like it then and I don't like it now.  However, I have never
called someone "close minded" for preferring a different tool to me.

> Don't make me tell here how many things I don't like in Perl.

Trust me, there is no need.

> I use to tell those things on Perl mailing lists and make upset their

Good for you.  I also have talked about things in Python that I don't
like on this list.  No one has ever accused me of being afraid to speak
my mind.  That facet of my personality has got me in a lot of trouble
in my life from parents, teachers, bosses and I have even been known to
speak out against the police while they were holding automatic rifles to
my head.  I doubt that there will ever be enough peer pressure on a
mailing list to trump that.

> Similarly, if you don't like something in Perl, why don't you tell
> them what you don't like to the Perl programmers community and not just
> have the guts to tell that in a group where the majority share your
> preferences.

Because I am not a missionary.  Someone came to my house and told me
why their way was better so I spoke up.  Same thing when the JW come to
my front door but I have no interest in going to their Kingdom Hall to
tell them why they are wrong.

> I came here on the list to find good things about Python and to learn
> some things and use its good parts, and not to hear bashing about other
> programming languages.

Same here but someone (I don't even know who started it) felt that it
was necessary to tell us all why their language was better.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves