Why did Quora choose Python for its development?

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Mon May 23 04:49:40 EDT 2011

From: "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu>
> On 5/23/2011 1:31 AM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>

>> I am talking about a simple way of creating a hash/dict from an array,
>> which is so simple that there should be really a single way to do it, or
>> very few.
>
> Again, Python has such:

> {'two': 2, 'one': 1}

That is not an array, but a list. An array has a name and we can't do
something like the following simple statement in Python:

l = (1, 2)
d = dict(l)

While in Perl we can do:

%d = @l;

But let's remember from what this discussion started. This is not a Python
critique, because each language has its own ways.
I just wanted to show that the fact that "there is more than one way to do
it" in Perl and that "there is a single way" in Python are just buzzwords,
because this was an example where in Python there are many ways to do it
while in Perl there is a single way used usually, which is also more simple.

Octavian