Abandoning Python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon May 23 02:33:37 EDT 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011 13:11:40 +1200, Gregory Ewing wrote:

> Ed Keith wrote:
>> Have you looked at Falcon (http://www.falconpl.org/)?
>
> This paragraph on the first page doesn't exactly fire me with enthuiasm:
>
>> Falcon provides six integrated programming paradigms: procedural,
>> object oriented, prototype oriented, functional, tabular and message
>> oriented. And you don't have to master all of them;
>
> ...until you want to read someone *else's* code, that is.

The same might be said about Python, which supports procedural, OO and
functional styles out of the box. Prototype-oriented is so close to OO
that you can fake it in Python:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4629224/prototypal-programming-in-python

I'm not sure what they mean by tabular, perhaps something like Resolver
System's Python-in-a-spreadsheet?

http://www.resolversystems.com/products/resolver-one/

And presumably anyone who has played around with GUI programming in
Python will have run into message oriented coding.

--
Steven