Abandoning Python

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun May 22 11:58:09 EDT 2011

Daniel Kluev <dan.kluev at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 2:49 AM, John J Lee <jjl at pobox.com> wrote:
>> Here's my wishlist (not really in any order):
>
> How come pony is not listed there? Language cannot be better than
> python without pony!

Pony, absolutely.  I took that as read.

>>  * An even larger user base, contributing more and better free and
>>   commercial software.
[...]
> As there is rather heavy inertia in software development community,
> expecting some language to acquire "even larger user base" is
> hopeless.

I did say I was prepared to compromise on that one.  After all, when I
started using Python it was a lot smaller that it is now.  If a language
is good enough to tempt me away from Python, probably the same is true
for other people too -- as it was with Python a decade or so ago.

> Also, most of these complaints could be solved by using correct python
> dialect for particular task - RPython, Cython and so on.

Different topic.

John