English Idiom in Unix: Directory Recursively

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Sat May 21 11:34:18 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-19, Peter Moylan <invalid at peter.pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

> In the microcontroller world, the big performance hits come from the
> fact that the only available compilers are for C and sometimes C++.
> (And nobody uses assembly language except for the very little jobs.)
> The nature of the C language prevents compilers from doing optimisations
> that are standard in compilers for high-level languages.  Most C
> compilers will, for example, always pass parameters on the stack,
> despite the generous supply of registers available in newer hardware.

I've been doing microcontroller stuff for 25+ years, almost all in C,
and I don't think I've never seen such a compiler.  Even on the
register-starved 6800 architecture, the first parameter was passed in
a register.  On architectures with more registers (H8, MSP430, ARM,
etc.) It's usually the first 3 or so parameters that are found in
registers.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Gee, I feel kind of
                                  at               LIGHT in the head now,