os.access giving incorrect results on Windows

Ayaskanta Swain ayaskanta.swain at altair.com
Fri May 20 07:26:19 EDT 2011

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I followed the patch provided by
you in issue 2528, but the code looks very tricky to me. Anyways I wrote
my Test.py script & tried only the def test_access_w(self): test case
which is defined under class FileTests(unittest.TestCase) by providing
my own directory path to check the write permissions on it.

I executed my But it failed with the following errors -

> python Test.py C:\temp\my_dir

test_access_w (__main__.FileTests) ... ERROR

ERROR: test_access_w (__main__.FileTests)

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "Test.py", line 14, in test_access_w

    f = os.open(dirpath, os.O_CREAT)

OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\temp\\my_dir'

Ran 1 test in 0.000s

FAILED (errors=1)

Basically the os.open() function is failing to open a directory (In this
case my_dir). The directory has write permissions for the user. Attached
herewith is my Test script. Can you please suggest some simple python
code which checks the write permissions of a directory in a straight
forward way (Not by using unit tests)

Thanks

Ayaskant-

Bangalore