obviscating python code for distribution

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 19 22:35:17 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:30 PM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Yup. Nothing is safe from idiots.
>
> I actually think I need to take this statement back. The more I think
> about it, the less convinced I am that it's correct- I can at least
> conceive of violable systems which cannot be misconfigured. So, sorry
> about that.

If it is, then you're not deploying it, you're just pushing buttons
and acting like a user. I still stand by the view that the one with
the root password is the one responsible for the computer's security;
and if you have the root filesystem password, there's no way that
something can be made unmisconfigurable. (You CAN, however, make
something that's out-of-the-box secure, so someone just does a 'sudo
apt-get install yoursystem' and it's specced up nicely. This is a Good
Thing.)

Chris Angelico