obviscating python code for distribution

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu May 19 04:47:28 EDT 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011 06:21:08 +0100, Hans Georg Schaathun wrote:

> :  Are you talking about the Mayfair classical cipher here?
>
> I am talking about the system used in public transport cards like Oyster
> and Octopus.  I am not sure how classical it is, or whether
> mayfair/mayfare referred to the system or just a cipher.

I think Geremy is talking about the Playfair cipher:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playfair_cipher

> Any way, it was broken, and it took years.

You don't know that. All you know is that it took years for people to
realise that it had been broken, when a security researcher publicly
announced the MIFARE cipher had been broken. If criminals had broken the
cipher, they would have had no incentive to publicize the fact, and the
companies running Oyster and similar ticketing schemes would have no
incentive to admit they were broken. Far from it: all the incentives are
against disclosure.

So it's possible that Oyster cards have been counterfeited for years
without anyone but the counterfitters, and possibly the Oyster card
people themselves, knowing.

The real barrier to cracking Oyster cards is not that the source code is
unavailable, but that the intersection of the set of those who know how
to break encryption, and the set of those who want to break Oyster cards,
is relatively small. I don't know how long it took to break the encryption,
but I'd guess that it was probably a few days of effort by somebody
skilled in the art.

http://www.usenix.org/events/sec08/tech/full_papers/nohl/nohl_html/index.html

--
Steven