obviscating python code for distribution

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Wed May 18 13:31:58 EDT 2011

> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 2:54 AM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:36 AM, Hans Georg Schaathun <hg at schaathun.net> wrote:
>>> But then, nothing is secure in any absolute sense.
>>
>> If you're talking security and not philosophy, there is such a thing
>> as a secure system. As a developer you should aim for it.
>
> Agreed. Things can be secure if you accept caveats. A good server
> might be secure as long as attackers cannot, say:
> * Get physical access to the server, remove the hard disk, and tamper with it
> * Hold a gun to the developer and say "Log me in as root or you die"
> * Trigger a burst of cosmic rays that toggle some bits in memory

You forgot the most important one:

* if none of the software running on it has exploitable issues

Personally, I think it's best to understand that no server is ever
secure and hence one must always be prepared that a breach can happen.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/        Perl Consultancy: http://castleamber.com/
Perl for books:    http://johnbokma.com/perl/help-in-exchange-for-books.html