[ann] pyjamas 0.8alpha1 release

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 17 21:52:44 EDT 2011

On 5/17/2011 12:38 PM, harrismh777 wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>> Like it or not, Python 3 is the future of Python. It is the Python that
>> many Python newcomers learn first, and perhaps ever will.
>
> Yes, no doubt, and I'm genuine about that...
>
> ... but there is something else to consider, as I'm sure you are aware.
> At some point Python is going to have to standardize in order to
> survive. And by survive I'm not talking about the Python 'community,' as
> much as I'm talking about the acceptance and wide-spread use of Python
> by people who just want to get work done and solve problems.
>
> If there is another major jump like 2.x --> 3.x in the future,

There can't be, in that the essence of the jump was elimination of
original flaws in 1.0 or 1.1 by elimination of old ways in favor of new
ways that are already present in 2.7 or before.

> Python will die. I hope you guys are aware of this.

No, because I think you are exaggerating.  That said, I think core
Python is pretty close to 'complete' and I would not mind further syntax
freezes like the one for 3.2.

> Like it or not, Python 2.x has millions of lines of code running out
> there, and they're not going to get morphed into 3.x coding.

Except for public libraries, I do not think it should be.

> So, 2x is going to be around for many years to come.

For as long the existing binaries can run or a long as the code can be
compiled.

> with an interpreter. Different versions of the source code (.py files)
> require a matching 'interpreter,'

Most 2.x code is forward compatible with newer 2.x versions.

> where-as in other languages a new
> compiler version does not require recompiling source, but if source is
> recompiled everything still works...

Unless the new compiler is for a newer version of the language. I
believe C89 compilers had problems with some K&R + extensions C. I do
not know if C89 code is completely C99 compatible. I know the reverse is
not true, CPython is still C89 code since that apparently still makes it
available on more machines.

--
Terry Jan Reedy