obviscating python code for distribution

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon May 16 20:22:48 EDT 2011

"Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler at tysdomain.com> writes:

> I wanted to make the client in python, and the server possibly, though
> I'm not really sure on that. I was not worried about the code for the
> server being stolen, as much as I was worried about people tinkering
> with the client code for added advantages.

Thank you for making your constraints explicit; that's more than most
people do when asked.

As Steven said, you're trying to solve a problem which is very
difficult, and obfuscating the code won't be of much help. If people
have the program running on their own computers, they can hack it. You
can't stop that, so you have to consider other ways of making it
ineffective.

--
 \      “The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more |
  `\   to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a |