obviscating python code for distribution

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Mon May 16 05:36:02 EDT 2011

Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
> Hello:
> Thanks all for your information and ideas. I like the idea of open
> source; I have a fairly large (or large, by my standards anyway)
> project that I am working on that is open source.
>
> Here's kind of what I want to prevent. I want to write a multi-player
> online game; everyone will essentually end up connecting to my server
> to play the game. I don't really like the idea of security through
> obscurity, but I wanted to prevent a couple of problems.
> 1) First I want to prevent people from hacking at the code, then using
> my server as a test for their new setups. I do not want someone to
> gain some extra advantage just by editing the code.
> Is there some other solution to this, short of closed-source?
> Thanks,

If your App meet some success, you'll need some help. You'll be able to
get some only if the community grows and has access to your code. If you
want to battle versus hackers, you have already lost (if your app hos no
success, there will be no hacker anyway :o) )
Otherwise I guess that most online games execute all decisions and state
machine transitions at server side, which is the only code you can
trust. The client only forwards user inputs to the server, and display
the resulting effect .

JM