Get the IP address of WIFI interface

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Sun May 15 17:14:18 EDT 2011

On 2011.05.15 06:12 AM, Tim Golden wrote:
> ... and for Windows:
>
> <code>
> import wmi
>
> for nic in wmi.WMI ().Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration (IPEnabled=1):
>    print nic.Caption, nic.IPAddress
>
> </code>
One thing I found out about Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration is that it
only contains /current/ information and not the stored info that it uses
when making an initial connection (you can see and edit this info in the
Network and Sharing Center applet). The difference is that if you're
offline, that WMI object will have no useful info at all. You can find
the info in the registry if you know what the UUID (or whatever it is)
of (or assigned to) the interface (it's in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces).
The OP said the card would be connected, so it might not be an issue,
but I think it's important to know that. Wouldn't want you to suddenly
get blank strings or exceptions and not know why. ;-)