turn monitor off and on

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat May 14 15:58:28 EDT 2011

On 5/14/2011 3:20 AM, harrismh777 wrote:
> harrismh777 wrote:
>>
>> def turnOnMonitor():
>> SC_MONITORPOWER = 0xF170
>> win32gui.SendMessage(win32con.HWND_BROADCAST,
>> win32con.WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_MONITORPOWER, -1)
>

> I've never tried turning my monitor on/off without using my finger...

The computer cannot turn off the monitor. It can only tell the graphics
card to turnoff the signal to the monitor. My monitor then displays 'No
signal detected' in a box and puts itself into a low-power state
awaiting a signal. Even if the monitor does not do that, a black screen
should use less power.

Why the turnon does not work, if indeed it does not (and the monitor is
not failing to respond to its resumption) is not a Python question. 2
and -1 as off and on parameters is a bit strange. The OP might try a
different api reference source or ask on a windows innards list.

--
Terry Jan Reedy