turn monitor off and on

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat May 14 03:43:12 EDT 2011

On Sat, 14 May 2011 02:20:55 -0500, harrismh777 wrote:

> harrismh777 wrote:
>>
>> def turnOnMonitor():
>>     SC_MONITORPOWER = 0xF170
>>     win32gui.SendMessage(win32con.HWND_BROADCAST,
>> win32con.WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_MONITORPOWER, -1)
>

> I've never tried turning my monitor on/off without using my finger...

You've never had your PC turn your monitor off after X minutes of
inactivity?

> gonna have to play with this...  wouldn't that be a great script kiddie
> tool... just turn off all the windows monitors around the world... no
> problem(s) after that...
>
> ... what happens if you try to turn it back on with your finger... ?

Then you actually turn it off, at the power switch, instead of merely off
in software.

> ... I have another idea... while its off, try pushing the alt key on
> your keyboard... or moving your mouse... (come back on ? )

Presumably you would need to program something to watch for activity and
turn it back on. It would be somewhat embarrassing if you neglected to so
this...

--
Steven