checking if a list is empty

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Sat May 14 00:47:06 EDT 2011

Ian Kelly wrote:
> [...]

http://www.inf.ed.ac.uk/teaching/courses/inf1/fp/

http://www.cs.ou.edu/~rlpage/fpclassSpring97/

There are lots of these...   the two above afaik are still doing this at
the entry level...    ... supposedly, these kids are 'mostly' successful
and exit interviews are great...  but that doesn't fit with the observed
idea that students are not doing well in comp sci classes generally...
but, read below...  this at the entry level??

====== block quote =========
The first 10 to 11 weeks of the course use Haskell. Students are
required to write nine programs in Haskell, three of which are team
projects that combine software developed in individual projects.
Different members of a team are assigned different individual projects,
and the team efforts combine their solutions into a working piece of
software.

In the early part of the course, students use operators like map, foldr,
zip, and iterate to express computations. Explicit recursion is
introduced after some experience with these common patterns of
computation. Examples and problems address non-numeric applications, for
the most part. Both interactive and file I/O are covered, but general
purpose monads are not.

The last 5 to 6 weeks of the course use C, and most of the projects in
that part of the course duplicate the function of earlier pieces of
software that the students have written in Haskell.
====== /block quote =========