checking if a list is empty

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu May 12 03:37:58 EDT 2011

Hans Georg Schaathun <hg at schaathun.net> writes:

> On Thu, 12 May 2011 16:46:38 +1000, Ben Finney
>   <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> :  Hans Georg Schaathun <hg at schaathun.net> writes:
> :
> : > On Wed, 11 May 2011 20:31:45 -0700 (PDT), alex23
> : >   <wuwei23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> : > :  On May 12, 7:24 am, harrismh777 <harrismh... at charter.net> wrote:
> : > : > We need to move away from 'canned apps' to a new day where
> : > : > the masses can sit down to their computer and solve new problems with it
> : > : > through intuitive language skills.  Why not?
> : > :
> : > :  Because the vast majority of them don't seem to want to be bothered?
> :  >
> : > Why does that matter?  There is a sizeable group who need computers
> : > for purposes not (sufficiently) supported by the `canned apps'.
> :
> :  Those people, outnumbered by the masses as you say, are thereby not
> :  themselves “the masses”.
>
> So what?  Do we only need solutions and systems for the masses?

Your “why does that matter?” was addressed to an answer specifically in
the context of “a new day where the masses can sit down to their
computer and …”. The question is asked and answered.

If you want to raise a *new* topic – that of the non-masses who have
different needs – it's best not to start with “Why does that matter?”
but to lay out your separate case.

--
 \        “Visitors are expected to complain at the office between the |
  `\                     hours of 9 and 11 a.m. daily.” —hotel, Athens |