Inconsistency with split() - Script, OS, or Package Problem?

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Mon May 9 16:02:04 EDT 2011

(Direct reply to me, reposted on Jame's behalf)

Hi Alex,

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Alex Willmer <alex at moreati.org.uk>
wrote:
> On May 9, 8:10 pm, James Wright <jamfwri... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Ian,
>>
>> It does indeed to seem that way.  However the script works just fine
>> on other machines, with the same input file.
>
> How sure of that are you? Post md5sums of the script and the input
> file on a working machine and a non-working (4 md5sums total).
>
> Does the script use an non-stdlib modules? Check the md5sum of those
> too.
>
> Are the platforms/python versions the same? Post the uname and python -
> v from each.
>
> Can you post the script and the file online for us? Do so.
>
> Regards, Alex

The md5sums match (great idea by the way, I hadn't thought of that).

What do you mean by using a non-stdlib module?  I am not using any
import statements, if that is what you are referring to.

As for kernel and Python versions, I have updated both in case this
was a bug - they no longer match across the machines I am testing on.
The script consistently works with the machines that it always has
been working with.  The script continues to not work on the new VMWare
installs (but does in new VirtualBox installs - odd).

I can post the script (attached), but am not so certain that is at
fault - given that the script is running on other hosts just fine.

Please read the script with a grain of salt, this is my first run at
this, and I am well aware that I am not yet following the conventions
of Python.  I have much to learn.

Thanks,
James