PIL: The _imaging C module is not installed

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Mon May 9 14:16:42 EDT 2011

On 9-5-2011 8:22, Nico Grubert wrote:
>> I had this happening to me as well someday.
>> I recall that first installing it (python setup.py install), and then
>> rerunning selftest, solved that error.
>
> I tried that as well.
> Here is the summary of the install process:
>
> build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.4/libImaging/ZipEncode.o -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib -ljpeg
> -lz -o build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.4/_imaging.so
[...]
> $ python selftest.py
> *** The _imaging C module is not installed

Don't know why the build seems to fail. PIL installs and works fine on all computers
I've installed it on recently...

What happens when you just forget about selftest and run python and type import Image?

Doesn't the package manager on CentOS offer a python-imaging, python-pil or whatever
precompiled and configured package? If not (why not!?) try pip install PIL.

Irmen