What other languages use the same data model as Python?

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Thu May 5 12:00:53 EDT 2011

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> In fairness, he's not the only one. M Harris has twice now linked to an
> IBM site that describes pass-by-reference in C in terms of passing a
> pointer to the argument you want as the argument. Admittedly, doing so
> gives you almost the same behaviour, except that you have to dereference
> the pointers yourself.
>
> That's a pretty big difference though, and gets to the core of the
> argument: it's a bit like arguing that manual cars are fitted with
> exactly the same automatic transmission as auto cars, it's just that you
> have to engage the clutch and shift gears yourself.

... and actually, if you feel it just right and you have just the right
synchro-mesh setup, you can slide from 3rd into 4th without every
touching the clutch peddle... and if that isn't automatic, I don't know
what is....   man those were the days... now I just press a button that
says, "Auto 4-wheel Lock", set the gps, and take a nap...

:)