What other languages use the same data model as Python?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu May 5 11:14:20 EDT 2011

On Wed, 04 May 2011 09:18:56 -0700, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:

> On May 4, 9:44 am, Hans Georg Schaathun <h... at schaathun.net> wrote:
>> :               The only twist is that you never get to dereference :
>> pointers in Python, but you can in C. Not much of a twist if you ask :
>> me, but then again, I've been thinking in thismodelfor years. Maybe :
>> I'm brainwashed. :)
>>
>> You are.  You explain Python in terms of C.  That's useful when you
>> talk to other speakers of C.
>>
>> If you want to explain the language to a broader audience, you should
>> use terminology from the language's own level of abstraction.
>
> No, I explained Python in terms of pointers/reference.

Python has no pointers or references unless you simulate them yourself
using other data types.

They exist as implementation details of the Python virtual machine, which
is at least two levels below that of Python code. The first is the byte
code which runs in the virtual machine; the second is the code in the VM.

--
Steven