What other languages use the same data model as Python?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu May 5 10:21:31 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-05, harrismh777 <harrismh777 at charter.net> wrote:
> Tim Roberts wrote:
>> The fact that the parameter "a"
>> in BumpMe happens to be an address is completely irrelevent to the
>> definition of the parameter passing mechanism.
>>
>> C has pass-by-value, exclusively.  End of story.
>
> Yeah, Tim, I know... but that's my entire point in a nut-shell...
> whether the language is pass-by-value or pass-by-reference has less to
> do with how it is 'defined' (its mechanism--- indirection and stack)

No, whether the _language_ is pass by value or pass-by-reference has
_entirely_ to do with it's definition.

> and more to do with how it is routinely used with the standard
> features it provides--- in this case memory indirection--- as
> pointers.

Now you're talking about how you can implement higher level constructs
using a language that doesn't directly implement such constructs.  You
might as well say that C is a linked-list language like Lisp since you
can write a linked list implementation in C.  If you said that you'd
be just as wrong as saying that C uses call-by-reference.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I want another
                                  at               RE-WRITE on my CEASAR