What other languages use the same data model as Python?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu May 5 10:17:15 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-05, Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> harrismh777 wrote:
>> 'C' does provide for pointers which are used by all 'C'
>> programmers to firmly provide pass-by-reference in their coding
>
> Yes, but when they do that, they're building an abstraction
> of their own on top of the facilities provided by the C
> language.

I've pointed that out to him.  He's talking about what _he_ does in
his program.  We're talking about the C language definition and what
the compiler does.

> C itself has no notion of pass-by-reference.

Exactly.  C is pass by value.

> If it did, the programmer would be able to use it directly
> instead of having to insert & and * operators himself.

That's what I was trying to say, but probably not as clearly.  The "&"
operatore returnas a _value_ that the OP passes _by_value_ to a
function.  That function then uses the "*" operator to use that value
to access some data.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! DIDI ... is that a
                                  at               MARTIAN name, or, are we