What other languages use the same data model as Python?

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu May 5 04:55:36 EDT 2011

Hans Georg Schaathun wrote:
> With the references being
> purely abstract entities and not data objects,

It's not clear to me that references are any more abstract
than objects, or to put it another way, that objects are
any less abstract than references.

After all, in normal Python usage you never actually
*see* an object -- at best you see some string of characters
resulting from the str() or repr() of an object. The
object is a mental construct we use to make sense of the
behaviour we're seeing, as are references.

If you were to look inside the interpreter closely enough
to see the concrete representations of objects -- the
bit patterns in memory making them up -- then you would
also be able to see the bit patterns making up the