[ann] pyjamas 0.8alpha1 release

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed May 4 14:37:14 EDT 2011

On 5/4/2011 10:06 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> after a long delay the pyjamas project - http://pyjs.org - has begun the
> 0.8 series of releases, beginning with alpha1:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/pyjamas/files/pyjamas/0.8/
>
> pyjamas is a suite of projects, including a python-to-javascript
> compiler

As you well know, there is no such thing as 'python' when it comes to
compiling actual code. So please specify both in announcements here and
on the project homepage http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyjamas/
which versions are supported. I do not really want to have to download
and experiment to determine whether to bother downloading.

If you do not yet support 3.x, I request and recommend that you do so,
even if only on Windows with comtypes. Since comtypes uses ctypes, I
presume it works fine with Python 3 (this is one major advantage of
using ctypes.)

Like it or not, Python 3 is the future of Python. It is the Python that
many Python newcomers learn first, and perhaps ever will. Such students
usually have no experience or loyalty to any other GUI package, and I am
sure that many would love to be able to develop apps that they can run
on their desktop, give to friends to run in a browser, and run on their
phones.

--
Terry Jan Reedy