What other languages use the same data model as Python?

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Wed May 4 12:18:56 EDT 2011

On May 4, 9:44 am, Hans Georg Schaathun <h... at schaathun.net> wrote:
> :               The only twist is that you never get to dereference
> :  pointers in Python, but you can in C. Not much of a twist if you ask
> :  me, but then again, I've been thinking in thismodelfor years. Maybe
> :  I'm brainwashed. :)
>
> You are.  You explain Python in terms of C.  That's useful when you
> talk to other speakers of C.
>
> If you want to explain the language to a broader audience, you should
> use terminology from the language's own level of abstraction.

No, I explained Python in terms of pointers/reference. I don't speak C
or come from a C background, I'm primarily a Python programmer. Also,
I don't agree with your notions of "should", I have seen it taught
this way to plenty of undergraduate students learning Python as their
first programming language, and they do fine. The precise notational
difference between sharing an object and copying a reference doesn't
matter, as long as you can draw a diagram of it and write/read code --
which they can, and they do fine.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the vibe here. It's one thing for me to
self-deprecatingly suggest I'm brainwashed (with a smile), and another
for you to agree in complete seriousness.

Devin Jeanpierre