Fibonacci series recursion error

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon May 2 14:56:13 EDT 2011

On 5/2/2011 9:14 AM, Hans Georg Schaathun wrote:
> On Sun, 01 May 2011 18:24:30 -0400, Terry Reedy

> :  Python does not do this automatically because 1) it can be a semantic
> :  change under some circumstances; 2) one who wants the iterative version
> :  can just as easily write it directly;
>
> That's the silliest argument I ever heard.

Calling something silly when you have not really read it and perhaps
asked questions to really understand it is, to me, silly.

If you want a compiler that can introduce bugs into your program by
doing what it thinks you meant, rather than what you said, don't use
CPython.

> :        and 3) Python has a better way to
> :  process collections that removes essentially all the boilerplate in the
> :  recursive-call and while-loop versions:

To properly use modern Python, one should know and use for loops and
iterators.

--
Terry Jan Reedy