Compile 32bit C-lib on 64 bit

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon May 2 00:48:27 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another option would be to link your library into a small, 32 bit C program,
> and then establish some sort of protocol for it to communicate with your 64
> bit python interpreter - via a pipe or socket, as examples.

This is what I would recommend. A Unix socket or pipe or other pure
memory IPC mechanism can give some pretty high bandwidth, and it keeps
two processes happily isolated, plus it lets the OS handle any
conversions necessary (as opposed to your glue code, which is what
would happen if you link the 32-bit library to  your 64-bit app). Let
the operating system do my work for me? Don't mind if I do...

Chris Angelico