3rd party tree/outline data structure module?

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Mon May 30 13:57:06 EDT 2011

Before I reinvent the wheel, I'm wondering if anyone can
recommend a 3rd party tree data structure module? (I do not need
a GUI component)

I've looked at ElementTree but I think(?) need something more
flexible.

I have a parser that reads a proprietary file format which
defines an outline-like structure. (The file format is based on a
legacy product).

I need to create a tree data structure that supports the ability
to dynamically, add, delete, and move nodes/branches. I would
like the nodes to be based on my own node class.

I also need to to walk the tree structure in various ways
including given a node, find its previous and next nodes
including moving up and down branches to find the next logical
node and the ability to quickly find an element by its unique id.

Thank you,
Malcolm