The worth of comments

Richard Parker r.richardparker at comcast.net
Thu May 26 14:50:25 EDT 2011

On May 26, 2011, at 4:28 AM, python-list-request at python.org wrote:

> My experience is that comments in Python are of relatively low
> usefulness. (For avoidance of doubt: not *zero* usefulness, merely low.)
> I can name variables, functions and classes with sensible, self-
> documenting names. Why write:
>
> x = get_results(arg)  # x is a list of 1 or more results
> [... much later]
> for y in x:
>    # process each result in turn
>    do_something_with(y)

(It occurred to me that I should use a specific subject for this discussion.)

I'm less inclined to use comments on each line, or selected lines, but rather use block comments instead. They require more thought and time to write; however, the intended functionality of the code that follows can be described in full.