Multiple file select with tkFileDialog passes back 'decorated' strings (sometimes)

Alex van der Spek zdoor at xs4all.nl
Mon May 23 09:00:53 EDT 2011

I switched from Mark Hammonds pywin32 extensions for file choosers as the
multiselect there seems to crash on me when selecting more than a few dozen.
Using Tk now. Works well but the resulting string passed back seems to
'decorated' when the files are on local disk and not decorated when
retrieved over a USB interface from an external disk?

I do this:

>From local disk I get back:

'{file1.bin} {file2.bin}'

>From external disk I get back:

'file1.bin file2.bin'

I can handle/parse both, not an issue but it raises the question: Are these
the only two possibilities? Is it the same across platforms (I use Python
2.7 on Win Vista)?

See code below.

Thanks for the insight!
Alex van der Spek

from Tkinter import *
import tkFileDialog as tkf

tkroot=Tk()
tkroot.withdraw()

initdir=os.environ['HOME']
filetype=[('Binary Timeseries','*.bin'),('All files','*.*')]
filenames=tkf.askopenfilenames(parent=tkroot,initialdir=initdir,filetypes=filetype)
tkroot.destroy()