Functional Programing: stop using recursion, cons. Use map & vectors

Xah Lee xahlee at gmail.com
Sun May 22 18:47:53 EDT 2011

this is important but i think most lispers and functional programers
still don't know it.

Functional Programing: stop using recursion, cons. Use map & vectors.

〈Guy Steele on Parallel Programing〉
http://xahlee.org/comp/Guy_Steele_parallel_computing.html

btw, lists (as cons, car, cdr) in the lisp world has always been some
kinda cult. Like, if you are showing some code example and you
happened to use lisp vector datatype and not cons (lists) and it
doesn't really matter in your case, but some lisper will always rise
up to bug you, either as innocent curious question or attacking you
for not “understanding” lisp. (just as other idiocies happen in other
lang that lispers see but other langs don't see)

it's interesting to me that all other high level langs: Mathematica,
perl, python, php, javascript, all don't have linked list as lisp's
list. It's also curious that somehow lispers never realises this. I've
been having problems with lisp's cons ever since i'm learning Scheme
Lisp in 1998 (but mostly the reason is language design at syntax and
lack of abstraction level in calling “cons, car, cdr” stuff, without
indexing mechanism). Realizing the algorithmic property and parallel-
execution issues of linked list is only recent years.

 Xah