codec for UTF-8 with BOM

Ulrich Eckhardt ulrich.eckhardt at dominolaser.com
Mon May 2 04:34:11 EDT 2011

Hi!

I want to write a file starting with the BOM and using UTF-8, and stumbled
across some problems:

1. I would have expected one of the codecs to be 'UTF-8 with BOM' or
something like that, but I can't find the correct name. Also, I can't find a
way to get a list of the supported codecs at all, which strikes me as odd.

2. I couldn't find a way to write the BOM either. Writing codecs.BOM doesn't
work, as it is an already encoded byte string. Of course, I can write
u'\ufeff', but I'd rather avoid such magic numbers in my code.

3. The docs mention encodings.utf_8_sig, available since 2.5, but I can't
locate that thing there either. What's going on here?

What would you do?

Uli

--
Domino Laser GmbH