Development tools and practices for Pythonistas

Dietmar Schwertberger news at schwertberger.de
Sun May 1 12:11:23 EDT 2011

Am 01.05.2011 02:47, schrieb Shawn Milochik:
> Look at the big two sites for open-source repositories -- github and
> bitbucket. One's git, the other Mercurial. I don't think you can go
> wrong picking either one.

Can any of those be used from Python as a library, i.e. something like
import Hg
r = Hg.open(path)

When I had a look at Mercurial, which is implemented in Python,
it was implemented in a way that I could not do that. It was implemented
as rather monolithic program which could be used from os.system(...)
only.
With a good API, I could easily have integrated it into my development
flow. I have a codebase which is shared between different projects and
there are many small changes on many different PCs.
In theory a distributed VCS is good at supporting that, but in practice
I went back to my lightweight synchronization scripts and file storage
again. With the API, I could have best of both worlds.

Regards,

Dietmar