Python3 Tkinter difficulty

harrismh777 harrismh777 at charter.net
Tue Mar 29 13:52:19 EDT 2011

Peter Otten wrote:
> We don't eat children above the age of three;)

    geez... that's good news   :)

>> >  work... but, I'm at a bit of a loss to know exactly what its looking
>> >  for... libs, or libs and devel headers?   or other?

> Most likely the development headers. Try installing tk-dev.

    Thanks. You're right... I don't have tk-dev installed. duh.  And I
have choices to make...  it looks like setup.py is looking for 8.4
headers; I have TclTk 8.5x installed.  From the standard repository it
looks like I can download and install tk-dev (dependency package) and|or
tk-dev 8.3, or 8.4, or 8.5...   and I am not sure which of these is what
is needed without causing other problems.  Can 8.4 and 8.5 be installed
together without problem?  Does it really matter which of these I use
for the purpose of python build?  If I have TclTk 8.5 installed should I
only download the 8.5 tk-dev package?

    sorry for being so dense... and I'm definitely over three... way too
tough for eating or anything like that      :}

kind regards,