how to create a virtual printer

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Mar 28 07:56:49 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 04:12 -0700, kalopsik at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know how to create a virtual
> printer with python (on both windows and linux)?

I don't.  Not on Windows anyway.  There is no single mechanism that will
work for both.

On LINUX this is trivial - define a printer that delivers its output to
a script.  For example, we have a variety of queues that perform an HTTP
PUT to our workflow solution.

The simplest mechanism on Windows is to create a queue that prints [via
Samba] to a queue on a LINUX host.  Set the driver to produce generic
Postscript and the document will be fairly simple to process on the
LINUX host.