Data files for tests

eryksun () eryksun at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 19:48:19 EDT 2011

On Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:33:22 PM UTC-4, eryksun () wrote:
> On Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:07:33 PM UTC-4, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > I have a package with some tests. The tests are not part of the package
> > itself, so I have a laid out my files like this:
> >

> > src/
> >     spam/
> >         __init__.py
> >         other-files.py
> >     test_spam.py
> >

> > Some of the tests depend on external data files. Where should I put them?
> > In the same directory as test_spam?
>
> Including data files and accessing them via the resource management API:
>
> http://packages.python.org/distribute/setuptools.html#including-data-files

For example, if test_spam is in a separate package:

setup.py
src/
    spam/
        __init__.py
        other-files.py
    test_spam/
        __init__.py
        test_spam.py
        data/
            test_data.dat

setup.py:

from setuptools import setup, find_packages
setup(
    # ...

    packages = find_packages('src'),  # include all packages under src
    package_dir = {'':'src'},   # tell distutils packages are under src

    package_data = {
        # include any *.dat files found in the 'data' subdirectory
        # of the 'test_spam' package:
        'test_spam': ['data/*.dat'],
    }
)