Standard way to distribute utilities with packages

eryksun () eryksun at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 18:51:02 EDT 2011

On Sunday, March 27, 2011 4:05:30 PM UTC-4, Laszlo Nagy wrote:
> I'd like to distribute a pure Python package named "foo". By default it
> will be placed in lib/site-packages/foo. What if I want to add
> utilities? Command line or GUI programs that are not full featured
> applications, but they can be handy for some tasks that are related to
> the package. Here is what I see:

setuptools can create console and GUI scripts:

http://packages.python.org/distribute/setuptools.html#automatic-script-creation

These are installed in default locations such as C:\Python27\Scripts. If --install-dir is specified, the scripts will also be installed there unless --script-dir is specified.