Problem with keyboard up/down arrows in Python 2.4 interpreter

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Mar 25 03:35:53 EDT 2011

In article
<AANLkTimrz_=6qGHQDQK3Rh7HOGOCjJxZkGy4DcjF45Xi at mail.gmail.com>,
 Benjamin Kaplan <benjamin.kaplan at case.edu> wrote:
> As I stated above, py-readline is for if you're using Macports, which
> is a package manager for Mac OS X.

... in which case you probably want:

   sudo port install py-readline

> If you installed Python through
> some other means, I'm not sure why you don't have readline installed
> already, because it should be built with the rest of the Python
> modules.

For releases prior to Python 2.6 and Python 3.2, to build the Python
readline module, you need to have installed a local version of the GNU
readline library, a library which is not included in Mac OS X.  Starting
with Python 2.6 and with a deployment target of Mac OS X 10.5 or higher,
the Python readline module will be automatically linked with the
Apple-supplied BSD editline (libedit) library.

P.S to Julien: Python 2.4 is *really* old now and is no longer supported
by the Python developers.  It probably won't build correctly on current
OS X 10.6 without some help.  Python 2.7.1 and Python 3.2 are the
current releases.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org