why memoizing is faster

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Mar 24 20:26:33 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 08:12:22PM -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

> The irony of this is that memoizing 'recursive' functions with a
> decorator depends on the fact the Python does not have truly recursive
> functions. A function cannot call itself directly.

I wonder what exactly is meant by that last sentence:

* It doesn't happen (since the function name is evaluated
  to find the function to be called, as you explained).

or

* Even if a variable pointing directly to the function
  were provided (as a global or function argument),
  calling it is not supposed to work (for some reason).

??

Ciao,

--
FA